Friday, September 3, 2010

I'm a fad-follower

Is 8 months too long between posts? I didn't think so...what's kind of funny about that is that I've been to my blog to 'update' it a few times but once I got past changing the background (because for some reason snowflakes in April bother me), I was no longer motivated to do anything else...you, know, like something substantial like adding a post.

I'm smart enough to know that I can't possibly try to catch up on 8 months of life (although it's possible that I may opt to throw out a few highlights later) in a few simple posts. So, I think (translate, I hope) that I will update with some pics and "news" in the next week or so.

In the mean time, I just wanted to say that I think I'm a fad-follower. I know what you are thinking, "Jen, you've never struck me as the fad-following type." True, I'm not into trendy fashions, the hottest read (although I am #408 on the wait list at the library for The Hunger Games), the hippest music, the latest movie, or the newest electronic gadget. However, I have noticed an interesting trend or 'fad' that I have been a part of. It is namely this...blogging. As I've flipped through my friends' and relatives' blogs, I've noticed I'm not the only one who is blogging less than they used to. I may not have blogged for 8 months, but I'm not the only one. I can point to many people who haven't posted for 2-3 months, a few more for 4-8 months, and dare I say it?--yes, even a few that haven't blogged for longer than me (you know who you are!). What was once novel, fresh, and exciting, is now too much effort, too hard to catch up on, and too time-consuming. I don't know that this is a bad thing...hopefully our efforts have switched from blogging to paying more attention to our families, friends, and neighbors (I admit, it's an optimistic thought). Blogging is a great thing and certainly serves a purpose, but just like any good thing, too much time and effort can rob us of the what really matters. I can feel I'm beginning to babble...

Anyway, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm a fad-follower. And like the rest of you fad-followers, real life has taken over. Much as I still like to blog and love to catch up with everyone else at their blogs, life demands my attention. Much as I don't like to be too trendy, I hope I will make some more time for this fad in the near future. Happy blogging!

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Jen, great post! I never realized, but I'm a fad-follower too. I have definitely lost the excitement in keeping up my blog. How true!