"The little things of life, sweet and excellent in their place, must not be theThere are so many things that demand my time and attention and they all have varying degrees of importance. This little gem doesn't mean that every little thing has to be done with the thought of the end in mind. It doesn't mean that the mundane things of life (cleaning the family room for the hundredth time this week, bathing the children yet again) can be put completely aside in favor of more important things. Nor does it mean that I can't enjoy life's little repasts (in fact, I think that's really important). What it does mean is that I cannot be prepared for the life to come if I don't spend some time preparing for it here. I like it just because it's a reminder that everything I choose in life comes at a price and I need to remember that price on a daily basis.
things lived for; the highest must be sought and followed; the life of heaven
must be begun here on earth."
On a less eloquent note, I'm always amused by the things my children do (who isn't...I mean amused by their own children, not mine). Lately I've heard them talk about "whacking" quite a bit. This is a word they use in place of hit and have for as long as I can remember. For example, Holly complained that "Owen whacked me on the arm!" What I want to know is why did they ever start using this word instead of hit? Whatever caused it, I don't care, it is one of those simple pleasures to laugh silently every time they use it (and it helps me maintain my sanity when they are tattling on each other and fighting yet again).
3 comments:
I love your thoughts. I think it's interesting that L.M. Montgomery covers such deep topics without being crude or depressing. I seems like many modern authors deal with death in a "nobody knows the answers" way that leaves you feeling unsettled. Ruby Gillis' death is sad, but left me with the same feeling you had - of not taking life so much for granted.
Ruby's death is one part of the Anne books that has really stuck with me over the years. I always think about how Anne tries to comfort her by saying that maybe heaven isn't as different as we think. Of course Ruby was superficial and frivolous. I think Anne meant more that the relationships we have here, the the bonds and love we have here will still exist in Heaven. My favorite is "Rilla of Ingleside." It is I think, the deepest but like Laura said, it isn't crude or depressing.
Just wanted to tell you, cuz I haven't checked your blog since the 1st post, that I love you. Your Christmas blog made me smile. Big. All by myself in the kitchen. Love you tons, Jennifee!
Post a Comment